Diyarbakir is a city with interesting architectural features. Nebi Mosque and Ulu Mosque are masterpieces with their historical backgrounds and architectural styles.
Established in 700 BC, Diyarbakır has a rich historical heritage from the Hurris, Assyrians, Medes, Romans, Byzantines, Umayyads, Abbasids, Oghuzes, Seljuks and Ottomans. There are mosques, madrasas, inns as well as many churches.
Diyarbakır list of places to see must-see places in Diyarbakır for you.
Ulu Mosque: Ulu Mosque , the largest and most famous mosque in the city, is one of the oldest mosques in Anatolia. The building was built in 639 on the site of the Martoma Church, the largest shrine in the city center during the reign of Omar. Later, in 1091, the Great Seljuk ruler Melikşah’ın by the command of a great repair, repair and add-ons many times in different periods, we learn from the inscriptions.
Tigris River: If you plan to make a journey to the history of Diyarbakir, you should include the natural beauties of the city to your places of visit and include the Tigris River at the top of your trip list.
Hasan Pasha Inn: Hasan Pasha Inn is a historical inn located on Gazi Street, opposite the eastern entrance of Ulu Mosque in Diyarbakır. let’s come teas
Sülüklü Han: The historical Sülüklü Han which was built in 1683 by Hanilioğlu Mahmut Çelebi and his sister Atike Hatun was restored in 2010 and put into service of visitors. Hasan Pasha Han is one of the most popular places in recent times. There is an old well in the inn.
Caravanserai: One of the must-see places in Diyarbakır with its architecture and interior structure, the construction of the caravanserai started in 1521 and was completed in 1527.
The inn consists of 72 rooms, 17 shops and a barn with a capacity of 800 camels. Today it has been restored and turned into a hotel.
4 Legged Minaret: The Four Legged Minaret of the Sheikh Mutahhar Mosque, built by Akkoyunlu Kasım Han, is one of the interesting monuments built on four pillars. Seven Columns of the Minaret is believed to have fulfilled every wish of the last seven times.
In the inscription of the mosque, the mosque was built in the time of Kasım Bey, the Sultan of Akkoyunlu in 1500, and is the only example in Anatolia.
Ramparts: the Republic of Turkey made Diyarbakır located in the State borders by Huri in MÖ.3.000-4.000 year that the icon of the nature of the province where the present citadel is, the size and height as a world first in terms of the length of Great Wall of China after the name of the structure comes as second in the world .
Çayönü: First settlement BC 10200 BC and the region was BC. It lived up to the 4200s. Buildings of different architectural designs have been found for 6,000 years (round huts, grill plan, stone pavement, etc.).
Behram Pasha Mansion: The building is located on the eastern side of Behram Pasha Street. It was built in accordance with the traditional Diyarbakir house architecture. The structure was constructed as two-storeyed in two sections, east and south.
Basalt stone dominates the building, which is one of the examples of civil architecture in Diyarbakır . It consists of a courtyard near the square in the middle of the building and a series of iwans and rooms surrounding this courtyard. Behram Pasha Mansion, which is made entirely of black basalt stone, shows that white limestone was used in the decorations.
Cahit Sıtkı Tarancı House: The house of Cahit Sıtkı Tarancı, which is one of the most beautiful examples of preserving the characteristics of Diyarbakır houses, is located in the Camii Kebir Neighborhood in the city center of Diyarbakır.
It was built in 1733. known as the old Trahom Hospital for a period, then the building was transferred to Cahit Sıtkı Tarancı’s family. It was purchased by the Ministry of Culture in 1973 and organized as a museum. The museum also exhibits special belongings of poets, letters and books and ethnographic works.
The Akkoyunlu, Artuklu and Ottoman styles dominate the architecture of Diyarbakır. Considering the climatic conditions, the house, which is composed of summer, winter and spring sections, has an inner courtyard and a multi-window, has an oval pool in the central courtyard.
Ten-Eyed Bridge (Tigris Bridge): The magnificent bridge known as the Ten-Eyed Bridge, the Tigris Bridge, the Silvan Bridge and the Mervani Bridge is located 3km west of the Mardin Gate.
Some sources about the history of the bridge in the 6th century I. Anastasias period is reached information. Over time, the bridge was destroyed by the forces surrounding the city and was later repaired again.
It is known that the city was destroyed by the Byzantine Emperor Juannes Tzimisces during the siege in 974 for the last time.
Mar Petyum Church: It is near Sheikh Mattar Mosque in Özdemir District of Sur District. The church, which was not known exactly when it was built, is still used by the Chaldeans of the Catholic sect. The exact history of the Mar Petyun Church is unknown due to the lack of written sources and the lack of inscriptions.
On the door in the northwest corner, which provides entrance to the church, there is an inscription written in 1834. 1834 is considered the date of repair. The building has been repaired many times. As in many buildings in Diyarbakır, black basalt stone was used as the main building material
Hevsel Gardens: Hevsel Gardens extends as much as you can between the walls of Diyarbakir and the Tigris. It has been the subject of legends and folk songs. It is said that Mesopotamia, the homeland of agriculture, is perhaps the oldest granary, but the wildlife that Hevsel holds is not known.
This paradise is home to more than 180 species of birds, as well as many mammals such as otters, foxes, martens, squirrels and hedgehogs
Gazi Pavilion: The building, whose real name is Semanoğlu Pavilion, was built by the 15th century Akkoyunlu State. Since it was used as a headquarters during the First World War, it was purchased by the municipality in 1935 and named as Gazi Pavilion.
It is on the western slope of the Tigris Bridge outside the Mardin Gate. The kiosk was built on two floors, each having an iwan and spaces on either side of the iwans. At present, belongings of Atatürk, documents and photographs are exhibited.
The mansion, which is used as a museum, is a unique place worth seeing with its view of Tigris River, Hevsel Gardens, Kırklar Mountain and On Gözlü Bridge. In the kiosk, which welcomes its guests as a trip and picnic area, there is an atmosphere that gives people peace.
Ağil Assyrian Castle: It is estimated that the castle, built on a monolithic rock, was built during the reign of the Assyrians, surrounded on three sides by deep valleys and carved on the other side. It is known that the inner part of the castle, which was built on a very large area, was used as a shelter and storage at that time.
The four tunnels known and seen for today are carved into the rocks and the baths in the valleys that are meters away from the castle reach the Tigris River bed. There are also tunnels to escape from underground without going to the enemy in the cramped moments.
Virgin Mary Church : Since the 3rd century, the church is still open for worship in Ali Pasha. Due to the changes in the original structure due to repairs, since the last repair in the 18th century continues to bear the traces of history. The Assyrian Ancient Church of the Virgin Mary with its three courtyards keeps its historical monuments in its structure.
Surp Giragos Armenian Orthodox Church : The information about the church was first recorded in written sources in 1517 . Therefore, it is thought to have been built in the 16th century. Two big fires broke out in the church between 1827 and 1880 .
After the great fire in 1880, additional buildings were built. After the additions, two were in the women’s court on the second floor of the church; The building, which has become the only Armenian church in the world with 7 horan , 5 of which are on the ground floor, has reached the capacity of three thousand people to worship together.
Diyarbakır Archeology Museum : The museum was opened in 1922 in the Zinciriye madrasah, which belongs to the complex of the Ulu Mosque.
The museum has a rich collection with many historical artifacts in the rescue works of the Ilisu Dam since 2000, in addition to the excavations carried out in the region, the excavations carried out in the region, as well as the works exhibited by means of confiscation, Çayönü and Hallançemi