The streets of Kars seem to have skyrocketed from the sets of a foreign movie. The Russians, who ruled the city after the Ottoman-Russian War in 1877-1878, built beautiful structures from each other over the course of 40 years. You are also exposed to the ugly buildings of crooked urbanization, such as commercials that squeeze lemon into the film. Due to the strategic and military importance of Kars for the Russians, a considerable settlement was established here for 40 years, and important investments were made. Malacans, a Russian minority, were placed here to establish a Russian settlement. We owe the words of Kars and gravyer side by side to the dairy culture that Malakanlar gave to Kars.
The Baltic architecture wind, the Seljuk heritage, the churches from the Armenians and the Ottoman buildings were blended in this city. The buildings built by the Russians for the purposes of opera, school, military, and civil architecture constructed by the Armenians and the Greeks were again functionalized by making some changes in the post-Republic period.
KArss Castle A structure that has remained the most important structure of Kars for centuries. Although its first construction was based on the Seljuks in 1153, the last construction was carried out in 1579 by Lala Mustafa Pasha in the period of the 3rd Murat. The castle, which continues to preserve its outer structure nowadays, is quite worn, but its appearance from outside is a visual feast, especially at night. Click for location .
Stone bridge An arched, basalt stone bridge that connects Kaleiçi District and Sukapı District, built on Lala Mustafa Pasha, as in Kars Castle, in the 16th century during the 3rd Murat period on Kars Stream. When the bridge collapsed in time, it was rebuilt by Karahanoğlu Hacı Ebübekir in 1725.
Ebul Hasan-ı Harakani Tomb Hasan-ı Harakani, who is accepted as the spiritual teacher of Nakşibendi, Mevlana and Yesevi, fell martyr in Kars and his tomb is in Evliya Mosque.
During his life, Hasan-ı Harakani was visited by great thinkers such as Gazneli Mahmut and İbn-i Sina. Naturally, his mausoleum is drawing great attention now. The rumor that the wishes made in the mausoleum took place is also a shareholder.
One should not pass without sharing the following words written at the entrance of Hasan-ı Harakani’s lodge;
“ Whoever comes to this house, give his bread, do not ask his name / religion; because everyone who deserves to carry a soul in the magazine of Allah, is also worthy of eating bread at the table of Abu Hasan
Twelve Apostles Church (Kümbet Mosque) Built in the 10th century by the King of Bagrat, Abas as an Armenian-Georgian church, the building has been converted into a mosque in many times in history. It was used as the Russian Orthodox Metropolitan (Archbishopian) at the time of the Russian occupation. This building, which has become the Hagia Sophia of the East, has been used as a mosque in recent years. However, from time to time, Armenian groups are struggling with many problems such as the demands for rituals and the wrong techniques applied in the restoration
Namık Kemal House Right next to the Topçuoğlu Bath, there is the house where Namık Kemal once lived with his grandfather. Why did Namık Kemal live here because his grandfather was the governor of Kars of his time and this house was also the governor’s mansion. Namık Kemal lived here with his grandfather from the age of 7 to the age of 14 when his father died at a very young age. The mansion, which has been ruined over time, has been transformed into a cultural house where you can watch the lovers of Aşık with the support of UNESCO in 2011. If you can match, we will definitely witness a love meeting in Kars.
Bathhouses There are several historical baths in Kaleiçi that have been destroyed. These are (Topçuoğlu) Mazlumağa, İlbeğioğlu, Muradiye, and Cuma baths. Although none of them have an inscription, it is known that the exact date of construction and who made it, at least, remains from the 3rd Murat period of Mazlumağa Bath.
Kars Museum Kars, which is the first settlement in the Caucasus-Anatolian line, is a place with a very deep-rooted archaeological richness. In order to reveal this richness, a Museum Office was first established in 1959. Kümbet Mosque, also known as the 12 Apostles Church, was functionalized as Kars’ first archaeological museum. But as the finds from archaeological excavations increased in the 1970s, a larger and more modern museum was needed. For this reason, the modern museum on İstasyon Avenue was opened in 1981. Archaeological finds on the first floor of the two-storey museum, ethnographic works on the second floor, and stone works on the garden are exhibited. Admission is free.